Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Some Cheese with that Whine?

On a day where I should have 15,003 words committed to paper for National Novel Writing Month, I am currently limping along at approximately 3,500 words. Where did the time and words go? I must confess to feeling a bit of panic last week when the twin responsibilities of work and school crashed down on me until I was too exhausted to breathe. Twitter has helped with keeping the hearty spirit of this frenetic adventure alive, but I find myself falling increasingly behind.
I have read several blogs and articles about all the tips and tricks to get through 30 days of writing insanity and in the moment I do feel encouraged, as if I could do anything, including purging 50,000 words from my brain to the page. But deep in the trenches of work, studying, writing papers and dealing with two feisty dogs, I find myself making excuses about why my word count is dwindling. Better yet I come up with time-wasting projects.
I have just spent the last 45 minutes surfing istock photo for vintage writing images instead of writing 1,500 words that I could easily squeeze in during that short amount of time. Even as I write this now, my eyelids are drooping and I feel the tug of tiredness and the lure of 700-count Egyptian cotton sheets. Even my dogs are imploring me with their slumbery gazes to go to bed. Instead I will hurl my plea for help and stamina out into the ether and hope I am not the only one suffering the second week slump.
For those of you still plugging away, enthusiasm undaunted, energy unsapped, I salute you!

No comments:

Post a Comment