Sunday, October 31, 2010

Deconstructing Annie Wu

About a month ago I had an idea for a murder yarn for next month’s NaNoWriMo (www.nanowrimo.org) and ever since I have been obsessed with the idea and in love with my title, “Shrimp Fried Lies.” As November 1st drew nearer I became even more obsessed with my original idea to the exclusion of all others, but there were problems. I had a block that I could not seem to get past. I could not think of my main protagonist and I couldn’t think of why anyone would kill poor Annie Wu, Chinese restaurant proprietress extraordinaire.
Then it happened! I saw a tweet about this fascinating article I read last week about Nasa’s 100-Year Starship (sounds like a 60s rock band). Immediately synapses began firing and I had a flood of characters, conflicts and chapters, oh my! I have been furiously writing down all my ideas to explore the idea of what it would be like to make the decision to leave earth and never come back. What would be the ethical considerations and what type of people would make this decision? Why would anyone want to leave earth? Probably for the same reasons people move to Alaska…to escape the law, people, family, friends, etc.
Ah, inspiration, sweet mystery of life, at last I’ve found you!!
Let the NaNoWriMo-ing begin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment